We haven't really had the best start to 2013 and as evidenced by the pictures from my Instagram, I've chosen to band-aid those issues with shopping. Here's what's been going on...
1) My last party of the year went awesomely. It was a vintage travel theme for a one year old who flew in from Germany for the celebration. My clients were dreams to work with but that didn't stop Mother Nature as well as Karma from trying to screw with me. Our first snowstorm came down that day which caused half the guests to be stuck at home as well as a major component of our dessert table to take a wayward trip to North Carolina, courtesy of the USPS. I also had to raise my voice at a bakery to get them to fix a mistake they made. It wasn't my finest moment but it had to be done. Stress to the FULL.
2) We made plans with our neighbors to hit up the bowling alley on NYE. Unfortch, toddlers with no naps don't mix well with loud music and games they don't understand. Gabe fussed, we got frustrated with each other and left long before the souvenir noisemakers made any noise. We went home and sulked on the couch. NYE sucked.
In fact, a lot of nights have been sucking because of Gabe's bedtime shenanigans. We had it good for so long but shortly before the crib/bed switch, he decided that stories weren't good enough. He wanted to do laps in his room, jump up and down on things and basically *not* calm the eff down. So while the big boy bed switch has gone well (meaning he doesn't get up in the middle of the night or anything), we're struggling to find a new routine where he's chill before bed. Any ideas?
3) I scored this blue necklace at Targ's 70% clearance after Christmas. 7 bucks y'all. Woot!
4) I took Gabe to one of those indoor playground places by myself for the first time. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that when he'd crawl all the way up in there, through the tubes, up the rope ladders and through the foam obstacles, he'd decide he needed his mama. Every other time we've done these things, he was fine. Or John went with him. So I went a crawlin'. When I would finally reach Gabe at the top this 3 story obstacle course, he'd laugh and head down a slide. It was a nightmare. There were times I didn't think I'd get out. Seriously. Not really but sort of. It was pretty scary.
5) To make myself feel better, I went to Marshalls and I got a new everyday bag. The studs make me feel tough and edgy. Tough enough to scale a children's obstacle course.
6) With the aforementioned snow came the chance to whip out last year's snowsuit (used once) and pray it fit. And it did! The neighbors knocked up to see if Gabe could go sledding down their hill so John took Gabe down for a few hours. Those two. I can't take how cute they are together.
And to finish up the first week of the year, I've been mollywopped by the flu, which is why I'm phoning it in with an Instagram post (sorry!). A sore throat led to full on moaning on the couch in pain about everything down to my knuckles hurting. I've been a waste of life for a few days now and for the millionth time in the past 2.5 years, I'd like to lodge a complaint that this job doesn't come with any sick days. Who do I see about that??